Probability and Statistics
Statistics and probability are the complementary disciplines of the science of uncertainty. That is, they deal both with systems that are intrinsically uncertain, such as the choice of a gene passed at random from parent to child, and with systems we believe not to be random but which are too complicated to model exactly, such as the climate.
There is uncertainty in almost every aspect of everyday life and, despite its reputation for exactness, in the scientific world too. Probability and statistics give us tools to handle this uncertainty in a principled manner.
The Probability and Statistics group in Bristol carries out research on many aspects of this science: modelling of random phenomena, methods for the analysis of data, and computational techniques for performing this modelling and analysis. The applications of this research are many and varied, ranging from the analysis of solar flares to robot navigation, from the behaviour of socially organised animals to traffic queues and from genetic research to signal processing.
- 26 Nov 2013
- Matti Vihola, University of Jyväskylä, is visiting Christophe Andrieu from 24 November to 6 December.
- 11 Nov 2013
- Codina Cotar from UCL is visiting Feng Yu from 14-15 November. She is located in 3.9.
- 11 Nov 2013
- Ilya Shpitser from Southampton is visiting Vanessa Didelez from 14-18 November.
- 4 Nov 2013
- Arnaud Doucet from Oxford is visiting Christophe Andrieu 4-6 November.
- 24 Oct 2013
- Nathanael Berestycki from Cambridge are is visiting Balint Toth 24-25 October.
- 23 Oct 2013
- Christophe Sabot from Lyon is visiting Balint Toth 23-26 October.
- 17 Oct 2013
- Alan Hammond from Oxford is visiting Balint Toth 17-18 October.
- 9 Oct 2013
- Qingyang Guan from Chinese Academy of Sciences is visiting Feng Yu 9-16 October. He is based in 3.9.
- 23 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Panayiota Constantinou, who joins us as a Brunel Fellow in Statistics.
- 17 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Nayia Constantinou, who joins us as a new Brunel Fellow in Stats.
- 9 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Sinan Yildirim, who joins us as a post-doctoral researcher with Christophe Andrieu.
- 17 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Nayia Constantinou, who joins us as a new Brunel Fellow in statistics.
- 19 August 2013
- Welcome to Marton Balasz, who joins our group as Senior Lecturer in Statistics. Marton can be found in 3.7.
- 12 August 2013
- Welcome to Kari Heine who has joined our group as a post-doc working with Nick Whiteley. He is based in 4.13.
- 12 August 2013
- Congratulations to Steve Perkins who passed his PhD viva on Wednesday 7th August under the supervision of David Leslie. His thesis was titled 'Advanced Stochastic Approximation Frameworks And Their Applications'.
- 9 August 2013
- Professor Nuala Sheehan from the University of Leicester will be visiting Vanessa Didelez from 12 to 14 August.
- 22 July 2013
- Dr Matt Nunes from the University of Lancaster will be visiting Guy Nason from 22 to 26 July and will be based in 67 St Michael's Hill.
- 17 July 2013
- Dr Ajay Jasra from National University of Singapore will be visiting Nick Whiteley from 23 to 30 July.
- 3 July 2013
- Dr Anthony Lee from the University of Warwick is visiting Nick Whitely between 3 and 5 July, and is based in room 4.13 in the Main Building.
- 24 June 2013
- Dr Ramon Grima from University of Edinburgh will be visiting Clive Bowsher from 25 to 28 June and will be based in office 3.12 of the main building.
- 4 June 2013
- Dr Anthony Lee from University of Warwick is visiting Christophe Andrieu from 3 to 5 June and is based in office 4.13 of the Main Building.
- 20 May 2013
- Dr Ajay Jasra from National University of Singapore will be visiting Nick Whiteley from 20 May to 5 June, and will be based in office 3.12 in the Main Building.
- 15 May 2013
- Neil Walker has passed his viva. Many congratulations to him.
- 9 May 2013
- Edmund Jones has passed his viva. Many congratulations to him.
- 5 May 2013
- Dr Matti Vihola from University of Jyvaskyla is visiting Christophe Andrieu between 5 and 14 May, and is based in 3.12 main building.
- 30 April 2013
- Ben May has passed his viva. Many congratulations to him.
- 27 April 2013
- Congratulations to Margaritis Voliotis, who has won a fellowship worth 232,225 pounds over 3 years from MRC (Medical Research Council) on the project "Computational Approaches to In Vivo Cell Signalling: Inference, Network Structure and Dynamic Decision-Making".
- 26 April 2013
- Congratulations to Marcelo Pereyra, Brunel Fellow, who has won
additional postdoctoral funding of 46,000 euros from the
French Ministere de la Defense to support research into
"Hybrid and Particle MCMC Methods for SAR and hyperspectral image analysis".
- Congratulations to Ioannis Papastathopoulos, Brunel Fellow, who has been awarded the Eleneio Doctoral Thesis Award in Statistics by Greek Statistical Institute for the best dissertation written by a Greek statistician in Greece or abroad on Statistics for the two year period 2011-2012.
- 22 April 2013
- Marianne Menictas, a PhD student from UTS in Sydney, will be visiting the group for the next 3 weeks. She works on variational methods for fitting Bayesian models, especially in semi-parametric regression. She will be sharing office 4.13.
- 15 April 2013
- Professor Peter Green gives the 14th Bahadur Memorial Lecture at the University of Chicago.
- 10 April 2013
- Kara Stevens has passed her viva. Many congratulations to her.
- 8 April 2013
- Professor Guy Nason has been awarded a prestigious
Established Career Fellowship by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
- Some of the old news can be found here.
Our research is internationally recognised, receives the top rating from the national funding council, and is funded by a wide range of public and commercial organisations. It includes both fundamental work on the core of our disciplines, and inter-disciplinary collaboration with researchers in other subjects, both in Bristol and beyond. All of our work is mathematically rigourous, and all is ultimately stimulated by its potential in understanding the world around us.